The Arntz OPTIBELT Group takes over the Dutch company Walk Antriebstechnik B.V. at the beginning of the year. The resulting establishment of OPTIBELT Walk sees the group expand its product spectrum to include in-house manufacturing in metal.
The Arntz OPTIBELT Group is starting an ambitious, international brand campaign for the first time in its 140-year company history. The essential corporate values of competence, perseverance and precision are communicated in a prominent manner by exclusive brand ambassador Albert Einstein in order to sustainably strengthen the OPTIBELT brand around the world.
‘optibelt DELTA CHAIN Carbon’, a new flagship product in the sector of high performance timing belts, is presented at the Hanover Trade Fair. These innovative drive belts made of polyurethane and a carbon tension cord offer up to 100 percent greater power transmission capacity than comparable rubber belts.
The logistics centre at the Höxter facility is to be expanded. A new structure will offer space for an automatic container warehouse and for a pallet racking system and is to become operative and join the logistics network in July 2016.
The top management also received a fresh incentive this year: Reinhold Mühlbeyer is assuming leadership from Heinz Wilkening, who is going into his well-earned retirement after 44 years. Thereby, he will be part of the Arntz OPTIBELT Group management team next to Konrad Ummen as chairman of the management board.
This year, OPTIBELT celebrates its 140th anniversary. Watch our anniversary video.
The international orientation requires a new company name. In 1975, the “Höxtersche Gummifädenfabrik” became “ARNTZ OPTIBELT KG”. From 1995 to today, the Arntz OPTIBELT Group is expanding. Production facilities in Ireland, China and Romania are being established.
In 1962, the first internationally active distribution company is founded in Zurich. With the acquisition of Roderwald-Antrieb AG in Berlin, the rubber thread factory secures an important distribution location for Eastern Europe. In 1968, ARNTZ Belting Company Ltd. is founded in Northern Ireland. In 1975, distribution companies are established in America and Canada; further sales establishments in Eastern Europe and East Asia follow.
With Arnulf Ummen, the great grandson of the company founder, a sales manager with vision takes the helm in 1959. The new managing director builds up sales offices in just about every major German city in just a few years. Turnover flourishes under Arnulf Ummen: In 1960, the factory in Höxter employs more than 800 people. The factory manager continues expansion abroad.
The foreign market quickly becomes aware of the "Rubber thread factory in Höxter", the "Höxtersche Gummifädenfabrik". Cities abroad are supplied that are still considered to be the most important sales territories today: Antwerp, Copenhagen, Zurich, London, Bucharest, Vienna and many others. After the Second World War, it becomes clear: With the traditional products from its founding days, success is not sustainable. The family-owned company developed the V-belt.
When Emil Arntz founded the "Höxtersche Gummifädenfabrik" in 1872, he relied on solid knowledge instead of an entrepreneurial thirst for adventure. He obtained the aid of a British specialist and built up the rubber thread production with ten energetic employees. The first customers were textile operations in Emil Arntz home town Wuppertal.